Saturday, November 29, 2008

Cycling Fashion or Passion?

After pouring over the catalogs, websites,magazines, reading the reviews you are ready to pull the trigger. You have gotten clearance from your significant other (or at least hope to by the time it arrives). Why are you getting it? Do you fall into the speed cost money(so, here is how fast I can afford to go) category, or my bike will finally be cool enough after this purchase? Lets just assume we all have been part of some variation of the above rationalizations. But I have been looking at things differently lately. Within the last year I have converted my over 20 year old Serotta to a fixed gear (fashion?). Due to a high percentage of "fixie" riders being wrapped up in "A passion for fashion" I have been aware of that possible perception of my bike. The truth is though, I have never looked forward to riding my bike more, riding it harder, pushing myself past previous boundaries than anything I have ever done to any bike. I have renewed my passion for riding and my bike! I did upgrade my rear wheel lately but was careful to consider cost versus ride results. I did not consider what others thought were cool, only what would roll better than what I had and be reliable and yes, fast (couldn't help it). I ended up with a hand made wheel (Dura-Ace fixed only, low flange and Mavic Pro rim) made by the best shop around www.thebikebiz.com , great price, amazing build, fast service. The net result was not a stroll to the local coffee house , but even more miles and smiles. I love to ride. I smile when I ride. I love my life while I am riding, because I can. That's passion my friends.

4 comments:

  1. Oi - the new argyle bike I bought (fixed free) - is a bit coffe shop sheik - but the ride is incredibly smoothe regardless of where I'm going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many people these days worry about upgrades and you have the weight weenies. Lose 10 pounds before you worry about shaving a few grams on your $100 plus water bottle cages. The most important thing you said is the passion to ride and the smile it brings. Priceless!

    trichez

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's time for Mike to make another contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's time for Mike to throw down again. No offense to Scott, but us fixters need to hear what the Mike's got cookin

    ReplyDelete