Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 2 started with a lecture on technique which is for safety and performance. Once again the information was great. Then we were hit with an early workout. It was teams of 4 and we did a 12 minute metcon. About a 100 meter run, rest, kettle bell swing, push-ups. We rotated each time the runner came in. It was a good workout. The only problem is we all had to go through the rest of the day all sweaty. After the workout we went into nutrition which was timely as it was before lunch.
Then we did a review and followed up with scaling workouts and programming. Then it was time for “The Test”. I had studied and took notes on all the lectures, but I was very nervous about the test. There were a lot of people that felt the same way. In fact the head trainer found it strange that most were more nervous about the test than the workouts. We had 45 minutes to answer 50 questions. It took me less than 30 minutes to complete. When we were finished we had to go down stairs and wait. It took the trainers additional time to grade our tests and make out the certificates. Finally they brought us back upstairs for a final debriefing. The whole time my stomach was in a knot. He was stalling and said as much. They were not quite ready. You could tell a lot of people were getting restless. Then the trainer told us you will find a file folder out on the table with your name on it. Inside there will be a certificate that says either level 1 trainer or certificate of completion. If it says level 1, you passed. If it says completion, you did not. It was torture!! I felt I did OK, but there was a lot of doubt. I grab my folder, hesitate and then opened it to see Level 1.
I learned a couple of other things this past weekend. One is what a good coach Coach Justin is. More than one trainer at the cert said as much. He trains us well. I also want to thank Justin for his encouragement. I would have never done this without his suggestion. Another thing I learned, or better put reinforced, is the CrossFit community is a tight group. I love the way we all compete against each other then turn around and cheer on the very people you are trying to best. BTW that is Jason the owner of CrossFit Santa Clara, HQ trainer for certifications, and 2008 CrossFit games winner doing a 2:44 "Fran" right after another hard WOD. He apologized for it being slow. Really???

No comments:

Post a Comment