Sunday, December 14, 2008

MY LBS, SHARP BICYCLES

I have been living in the Roseville area for a little over five years now. I had a hard time finding a local bike shop that I bonded with. Two years ago a co-worker told me to check out Sharp Bicycles in Rocklin (now in Roseville). I took his advice one weekend and went into the shop with my 4 year old grandson Carter. I was greeted by Claudia with a friendly smile and she looked down at my grandson and said, “Are you having fun with your dad today?” You could see my grandson’s eyes widen as he tried to process her comment. He finally got it and blurted out “He’s not my dad!!” Anyone old enough to have grandchildren knows what a complement it is to be mistaken for the parent. That was my introduction to Sharp Bicycles.


Bill and Claudia Thomas, owners of Sharp Bicycles, opened the store about nine years ago. They are not new to the bicycle business as Claudia’s dad opened a bike shop back in the 1960’s. That was the first Sharp store. Claudia’s brother took over the store when their father passed away and still runs a shop in Lafayette, CA. Sharp Bicycles is actually a family business name. They are passionate about cycling and it shows by the products they carry. Sharp is a Specialized dealer and focuses mostly on Specialized products. They do bring in other products, but not just stuff to fill the shelves, things like Chris King headsets and Continental tires. They carry quality cycling gear and provide the knowledge on why it works.



The go-to guy at Sharp is Dave Freeman. It is not unusual to hear “ask Dave” or “Let’s see what Dave thinks” when you’re in the shop. Dave adds to the passion of Bill and Claudia. His dad was a cyclist, but Dave didn’t get on the road until high school. He hasn’t looked back since. When I asked him about his passion he said things like precision, individual and team sport, and of course the cycling community. Dave brings a lot of experience to the shop. His is a USCF certified wrench with race experience and he was the manager of a shop in St. Helena, CA. He did a stint at the Olympic Training Center and you should see his eyes light up when he talks about riding on the back of the motorcycle for Shimano neutral support in races like the US Masters Nationals.

As I gathered all this information, the three of them were busy getting the store ready to open. I had a surprise question for all three about the impact of the internet. I know that the internet is a thorn in the side of the LBS. When I asked my question Dave was in the shop, Claudia behind the counter, and Bill out on the floor and in near perfect timing they all answered in unison, “It Sucks!” Claudia proceeded to talk about the economy and the importance of "keeping your tax dollars in your community" with sincere passion. Dave added that the level of service and personal touch that the LBS provides is something that buying a bike on the internet cannot buy. They both struck an arrow through my heart as I have struggled with this also. No internet company will give you a loaner saddle while ordering a new one to replace the saddle you somehow blew out (thanks guys). I too am guilty of going to the internet from time to time to get the "Best Deal" (sorry guys), but from now on my dollars will be spent at my LBS. If they don’t carry what I want, I will ask if they can order it.


At Sharp Bicycles, they look you in the eye and listen to what you want. When the store gets busy, the other wrenches Nathan and Jonathan come out on to the showroom floor with a smile and helpful advice. If you live in the Roseville area, even if you don’t, make your first stop Sharp Bicycles. If you live way outside of the area, make it a point to support your LBS. Like Claudia says, "to improve the local economy, shop in your city and keep your tax dollars there". Supporting your local economy will pay you back!


Claudia set out hot coffee and cider along with homemade coffee cake for the shop-sponsored ride at 10 am on Saturdays. With Dave and Nathan kitted up in Sharp gear we took off on a great ride with 2600 feet of climbing, fast descents, and a good group of cyclist. Dave as a good sheppard would turn around from time to time to pull back any stragglers. Hang in there little (15 year old) Matt, you will be dropping all of us soon enough.


1 comment: